Tuesday, November 24, 2009

free

my coloring books have been left uncolored
and my fort-building skills are lacking
i can't find my legos or hot wheels
and i'd rather drink coffee than juice this morning.
sitting in the classroom in a college i've dreamt of since those days
i am reminded of my mortality, my humanity, my age
is this growing up?
alcohol on the breath
black bags under my eyes
refusal to dress in anything but leggings
hands cracked from stifling cold.
am i old?
two decades of living and suddenly
i am reverting
a sixty-four pack of crayolas sits open on my desk
for when my readings on feminism and nietzsche
become too much to bear.
and ani difranco intermingles with disney songs on my itunes.
shuffle in some raffi and beatles for good measure.
no, i am not fully grown
oh no, not yet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment