Monday, November 23, 2009

typical anomaly

floating among 
the ugg boots and north face jackets
i have found a home here.
i frequent starbucks for my daily caffeine fixes
and fulfill my shopping itches
at urban outfitters and american apparel.
i wear leggings as pants and
pretend i am comfortable.
i refuse to be everyone else
because my drink is frozen in november
and my north face and uggs are nonexistent.
my urban clothing comes from the clearance racks and
is intermingled with old navy jeans and gap socks.
i study in coffee shops drinking tea and
spend too much money on dinner food.
i forget to go to the gym and i
don't revise my papers before turning them in.
in short, i am just like everyone else.
similar to the masses, yet different enough to stand out.
and my left-handed liberalisms and my
redheaded shortcomings have become
just as typically atypical as anyone
interesting enough to
watch walk down main street.
ann arbor is too small to be large
and yet
i still fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment